Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ice cream cake, now with pics...

First, you need an adorable helper. I'd loan ya mine, but I'm keepin' him. He does crack eggs with out peel, though. That pic on the fridge behind him is a cow, getting a shower from a water tower. The little thing by the cows tail is a chicken, of course.


Two cakes, cooled all the way.

Take the same pan you use for the cakes, line it with plastic wrap, and smush in slightly softened ice cream. Place another sheet of plastic on top and smooth out with your fingers. Re- freeze for a few hours at least. (I did mine over night) ( I also did it before I baked the cakes, and then just pulled the plastic wrap out and put the whole deal on a plate in the freezer.)
Cut the rounded tops off both cakes. When I put the batter in the pans, I very carefully spread it out to keep it from getting too dome-y. (Always best to do pinkies out with your man-hands...)


Put one cake, cut side up, on the plate you wish to serve on. Center your ice cream block and trim the edges to fit. Eat trimming with the tops you cut off the cake, with your adorable helper.


Put the other cake on top, cut side down. (The "frayed" edges stick to the ice cream keeping stuff from sliding later.

Frost. I think you should re-freeze for an hour before you frost, but I didn't. Then when I was frosting the sides, melty ice cream was running into the frosting, making me have to stop halfway and refreeze. So, learn from my mistakes. And I have no pics of the final project either, as I failed. But I still have to write happy birthday on it, so maybe I'll get another before consumption tomorrow.

I know baskin robins makes way spiffy jelly roll ice cream cakes, but eh, mine doesn't taste all freezer burn-y and is WAY cheaper, so kiss my grits, 31 flavors.

5 comments:

Shana said...

Such a cute helper! I will definitely have to try this!

Holly said...

Yum! That looks amazing! Heheh before you put the icing on, the cake looks like a giant Oreo!

kristin said...

That looks awesome...I just want to eat that chocolate frosting!

Definitely a cute helper!

Tina said...

YUMMY......I love the idea of eating the cut off pieces with your helper!!!!

Hugs

Amy, queen of the world. said...

That cake? Looks a little tiny bit like Heaven. Okay, a lot like Heaven.