Friday, January 1, 2010

Two posts in one day? Who am I and what have I done with my self?

I felt the urge to share that I made the most delicious vittles this evening, An au gratin type spaghetti squash. Ah man it was tasty. When my old man went back for thirds he was talking about how lucky he was to have an awesome cooking woman.

I don't measure out ingredients unless I'm baking, but these are the general parameters...

Chop a spaghetti squash in half. Either take the seeds out now, or wait until it's half cooked when its way easier. I use a melon baller. Place cut side down in baking dish with a 1/2 inch of water and bake at 425 for half an hour or so until its soft enough to scrape with a fork and make the strands. While its baking, make the sauce.

Melt a glob of butter in a big pan. Saute a small onion and 1/2 a bell pepper until soft.
Add salt, pepper, a good shaking of paprika, whatever herbs/spices you like. I used oregano, chili powder and chipolte Mrs Dash. Add 3-4 spoons of flour. mix well

Add 2.5 ish cups of milk. Stir. Stir until thickened.

(At this point I added leftovers from the night before last, we had stuffed shells and I had about a cup of ricotta mixture left over) It was so good, I'd add ricotta again. Well maybe, I only bought it cuz it was on sale, usually it's pushing 7 bucks.

Once the milk mix is thickened, add the scraped squash and about a cup of shredded Cheese (I used cheddar). stir until melty then pour into casserole dish. Smooth out and top with more cheese, I used maybe 2/3 C mozzarella . Bake at 350 for about half hour, until top is browned and bubbly. Let rest for 10 minutes before dishing up.

So damn tasty I felt the need to blog about it... Shoulda took pictures and did it up right, but oh well...

1 comment:

Shana said...

That sounds soooo good!! Whoever you are, I'm glad you kidnapped yourself *wink*wink*!